Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Name Change, Gender Change in Hamilton County: Home

This guide walks you through the steps to change your name as well as your gender in Hamilton County.

About This Guide

This guide is intended to walk you through the process of changing your name and changing your gender on official documents in Hamilton County.

DisclaimerHamilton County Law Library staff, as a service to its patrons, provides reference services and information, including these research guides. To protect the public interest, Ohio law requires that legal advice and services be rendered only by qualified attorneys who are subject to the guidelines of the courts. Library staff members do not interpret the law, provide legal advice, or explain court procedures. The information provided is not a substitute for legal advice from a licensed attorney.  None of our services shall be construed as giving legal advice.

Note on Marriage and Divorce: If you are changing your name due to marriage or divorce, you may present your marriage license or divorce decree to the SSA, BMV and other organizations are proof of name change. It is not required to obtain a court order to change your name because of marriage or divorce