Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Name Change, Gender Change in Hamilton County

This guide walks you through the steps to change your name as well as your gender in Hamilton County.

Step 1: Change your name with Probate Court

See steps under Name Change

Step 2: Update gender with the Social Security Administration

This information is provided by the National Center for Transgender Equality. Please see their document, Name and Gender Change Guide for Ohio Residents (Adults), for more information.


Even though gender isn’t listed on your Social Security card, the SSA keeps a record of your

gender. You may update your gender marker before, at the same time, or after you update your



To apply to change your gender with the SSA, you will need all of the following:

  • Completed Application for Social Security Card Form SS-5 Tip: on the “Sex” line, check the box for your updated gender marker.
  • Valid (unexpired) identification, like a driver’s license, state-issued ID card, or U.S. passport (it’s okay if your ID includes your former name).
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful immigration status, like a U.S. passport, birth certificate, or immigration documentation (it’s okay if your proof includes your former name).
  • At least one of the following documents as evidence of your gender change:
    • Doctor’s Letter: A signed letter from a licensed doctor (M.D. or D.O.) stating that you have had appropriate clinical treatment for gender transition. The letter must be on the doctor’s office letterhead and contain certain items.
    • Passport: A valid, 10-year U.S. passport with the updated gender marker (passports with less than 10 years of validity will not be accepted).
    • Birth Certificate: An original, state-issued birth certificate reflecting your updated gender marker (not available for individuals born in Ohio
    • Court Order: An original court order directing legal recognition of change of gender.

Step 3. BMV

Complete the Declaration of Gender Change Form BMV Form 2368 


You will be notified in 7-10 days if your application has been approved and you will receive a document which should be presented to your local BMV.

Follow the steps under Name Change to change your name with the BMV. You can change your name and gender at the same time.

Step 4: Passport

If you wish to update your name and gender on your passport, you must fill out form DS-11 and apply for a new passport in person. Again, the National Center for Transgender Equality has this to say:

You will need to submit all of the following:

  1. Completed Application for a U.S. Passport (Form DS-11)
  2. Proof of U.S. citizenship, such as a previous U.S. passport, certified birth certificate, certificate of naturalization, or report of birth abroad (it’s okay if the document includes your former name).
  3. Proof of identity that contains your signature and photograph that is “a good likeness to you,” such as a previous passport, driver’s license, certificate of naturalization, or military ID (it’s okay if your ID includes your former name). You must present the original and provide a copy of the front and back with your application.
  4. Recent color photograph 2x2 inches in size. Read the application’s instructions for the specific guidelines you must follow for your photo.
  5. Certified copy of the court order approving your name change (if updating your name).
  6. Doctor’s letter confirming your gender transition. A signed letter from a licensed doctor (M.D. or D.O.) stating that you have had appropriate clinical treatment for gender transition. The letter must be on the doctor’s office letterhead and contain certain items.
  7. Fee. See here for the amount.


Disclaimer: Hamilton County Law Library staff, as a service to its patrons, provides reference services and information, including these research guides. To protect the public interest, Ohio law requires that legal advice and services be rendered only by qualified attorneys who are subject to the guidelines of the courts. Library staff members do not interpret the law, provide legal advice, or explain court procedures. The information provided is not a substitute for legal advice from a licensed attorney.  None of our services shall be construed as giving legal advice.